Shrimp Guide

Shrimp one of America’s favorite seafoods, beloved year-round from summer grilling to classic recipes like shrimp scampi, shrimp cocktails, shrimp and grits and shrimp boils.

Fishermen from over 100 different countries offer more than 340 species of shrimp. With so much variety, how do you know which shrimp to choose? The shrimp at Joe’s are what we consider to be the best shrimp in the world based on taste, appearance and sustainability.

What is the Difference Between Shrimp and Prawns?

Even though the terms “shrimp” and “prawns” are used interchangeably, there are some technical differences that marine biologists use to differentiate between the two. They are both suborders of decapod crustaceans, meaning they have 10 legs and an exoskeleton. Shrimp are marine animals and prawns are more brackish and freshwater. There are some hard to notice differences too. Their gills are arranged differently, the number of legs with claws is different (shrimp have two pairs with claws and prawns have three), and the segments on their bodies overlap in different ways.

Technical differences aside, even people in the seafood business will use the terms shrimp and prawns while talking about the same product. Anyone involved in the international shrimp trade using English is simply better off just using shrimp, as the word prawn is used inconsistently to describe different things.

So, it’s confusing, and in common vernacular one very often hears both terms used to describe the same thing, even if it may not be scientifically correct to do so.

What are the Differences in Shrimp?

Shrimp are sold by size indicated by numbers such as U-10 or 26/30. The “U” means “under,” so in the example U-10 it would mean under 10 shrimp to a pound. 26/30 means 26 to 30 shrimp to a pound, and so on.

Shrimp are also sold by color, mainly white, brown, pink, red and tigers thanks to the stripes.

Shrimp aquaculture began slowly in the 1970s, but by 2007 had exceeded wild. These days, 75% of farmed shrimp comes from Asia, notably Thailand, Indonesia, India and Vietnam. The other 25% come from Latin America, where Ecuador and Mexico are the largest producers.

Gulf White, also known as Northern White, are found along the Atlantic Coast of the USA from New Jersey to Florida and all along the Gulf of Mexico. The Gulf White is the market standard in the United States and all other species, domestic and imported, are measured against it. The meat is firm, sweet and mild flavored, with a pleasing pink color when cooked. These are the base of Joe’s Cooked Shrimp.

Our Mexican Whites, also called Blue Shrimp because of their greenish-bluish tint, is found from the Baja to Peru, and is a major species on the Pacific Coast of Mexico. It is of excellent quality with firm meat and a slight salty-sweet flavor.

Our raw shrimp are from Argentina. Found mainly off the coast of southern Argentina, it is most often caught between September and March but is available frozen year-round. Their heads, bright red color and large size make them something special on the plate. While they require light and gentle cooking because of their somewhat delicate texture, they are particularly well-flavored, and are highly regarded for their very sweet taste.

Can you Eat Shrimp Heads?

Yes, you can eat shrimp heads!

There are many ways to enjoy shrimp heads. You can fry them for a crunchy snack and eat them whole – simply heat some vegetable oil in a shallow pan and dredge the heads in cornstarch, salt and pepper, then fry for 2 minutes until lightly golden. You can also reserve the heads and sauté with shallots and garlic, add water and simmer to make a tasty shrimp broth. Strain and use in any fish stew or chowder.

Is the Vein in Shrimp Poop?

Yep, it is the shrimp’s intestinal tract, and while it is safe to eat, it has an unpleasant, gritty texture and is easily removed. Simply peel it away from the shrimp or pry it off the shrimp with the tip of a knife.