As much as we love our top sirloin steaks with Joe’s seasoning, sometimes it’s nice to shake things up and go north of the border.
Canadian seasoning, also known as Montreal steak seasoning, was created by Schwartz’s deli. The story of its creation is that during the 1940s and 1950s, a Schwartz’s broilerman by the name of Morris “The Shadow” Sherman began adding the deli’s smoked meat spices to his own rib and liver steaks. Soon the customers began asking for the same. Due to its popularity, it eventually became a norm in Montreal delis and steakhouses, such as the nearby Moishes Steakhouse and the Main Deli Steak House, to spice their steaks similarly.
Canadian seasoning consists of sea salt, ground black pepper, white pepper, mustard seed, cracked coriander seed, garlic powder, onion powder, red chili and dill seed. Pick up the seasoning and try a taste of Canada!
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 4 tsp Montreal or Canadian Steak Seasoning
- 2 pounds Joe's Top Sirloin Steak
- Combine olive oil, soy sauce and Montreal Steak Seasoning in a large self-closing plastic bag or glass dish.
- Add steak and seal bag or cover.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes or longer for extra flavor.
- Preheat grill or broiler.
- Grill or broil steak 8-10 minutes per side, or to desired doneness