Thanksgiving is our favorite time of year. Leaves change color, family comes together without the stress of winter holidays and delicious food is abundant. We love Thanksgiving so much we wanted to do our part to make it even better. We are dedicated to delivering the freshest turkey possible for your feast.
In 2006 we purchased our turkeys from a farmer in Michigan. They were “fresh” by USDA standards. The USDA standard for fresh poultry is 26 degrees (hard as a rock) or above, and at that temperature, your poultry could be 30 or more days old! Our customers liked them well enough, but they knew we could do better and wanted something more.
In 2007 we were introduced to farmer Ted Kuck. Kuck and his family have been raising and processing turkeys for nearly 60 years in Ohio since arriving from Ladbergen, Germany in the 1830s. We sold his turkeys in the shop and customers noticed the difference.
In early 2008 we approached Kuck directly about obtaining turkeys from him. Sadly we were told the processing of poultry was more profitable and turkey farming was too time-consuming. We brought up the idea of raising turkeys just for Joe’s. We wanted them to be humanely raised and processed, hormone and antibiotic free and as fresh as possible. We felt that if we raised turkeys to these standards we could increase our business and afford to pay Kuck a premium. Lucky for us Kuck loved our idea and agreed to raise our turkeys. And thus began a unique partnership that is unequal to any in the Midwest.
Since 2009 we have worked with Kuck to make improvements to our standards and processes to guarantee that Joe’s Farm Fresh Turkey is the finest you can purchase:
- 2009 – Introduced true Free Range (actually raised outdoors in clean air, not just a hole to leave the confinement coop) standards to our turkey.
- 2010 – New breeding standards to improve the heritage nature of our turkey.
- 2011 – Successfully implemented USDA labeling standards for our unique quality of turkey under the label of Joe’s Farm Fresh Turkey. The labeling standards were rigorous and difficult, and required we prove each and every one of our claims (free range, no antibiotics, humanely raised, etc).
- 2012 – Began to smoke turkeys to order and offering our own Smoked Whole Turkey and Turkey Breasts.
- 2013 – Improved the actual processing of our turkey, ice chilling and ensuring that the turkey you take home is just days from being processed and never taken below 31 degrees (our standard for true fresh turkey).
- 2014 – Created a boneless “Sweet Heart” skin-on turkey breast that gives our customers the flexibility to feed small or large groups.
- 2015 – Introduced non-GMO feed to our turkey’s supplemental diet.
- 2015 – Implemented Global Animal Partnership ®, 5-Step Animal Welfare Program to certify our animal welfare practices and submit ourselves to 3rd party verification of welfare standards.
- 2016 – Achieved Non-GMO Verified labeling/claim status for our turkeys.
All the steps we have taken throughout the years to ensure our turkey is the best means when you buy a turkey from Joe’s, you are getting a bird that is moist, juicy, delicious, and full of real turkey flavor. It means your turkey cooks faster than other “fresh” birds on the market (here’s how to roast the perfect turkey). We control the entire process. From the day our young turkeys enter the field, to the moment your turkey is processed, packaged and delivered to you, we guarantee a higher level of quality and freshness. Our turkey is the finest you can buy.
Proudly place one of these birds in the center of your table on Thanksgiving Day. Order your turkey ahead of time and come to Joe’s to pick it up. While here, grab everything else you need for the big day, including a variety of wines and cooking supplies.