We love to grill, there are few things as reminiscent of summer, but it has come time to pack away the grill and charcoal and get back to cooking your ribs indoors. Not to worry, it’s not all bad news. Lucky for you we have an oven-baked spare rib recipe that delivers the same fall-off-the-bone ribs you have come to love from the grill. Summer coming to an end does mean one thing for sure, you don’t have to lug the grill out to make your favorite spare ribs, all you need is the oven for the sweet smell of spareribs to fill your home with their barbecue aroma.
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 2 cups ketchup
- 2 cups water
- 4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 4 tsp dry mustard
- 4 lbs pork spareribs
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C).
- In a large bowl, combine onions, ketchup, water, salt, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar and mustard. Split ribs down the center between the bones. Heat a large lightly oiled skillet over medium-high heat. Add ribs and sear until browned. This may have to be done in several batches.
- Place ribs in a single layer in two baking pans or casserole dish. Pour half of the sauce over the ribs, reserve remainder.
- Bake ribs in preheated oven for 3 hours. Turn and baste meat every twenty minutes with remaining sauce, using all sauce by two hours. Continue turning and basting ribs using sauce in the pan during the last hour of baking.