Say goodbye to boring, traditional meatballs and hello to a brand new type of meatball! This recipe for mozzarella stuffed turkey meatballs with be your new, go-to recipe when spaghetti night rolls around. Plus, making these meatballs is a fun activity the whole family can enjoy. Pick up a pound of Joe’s ground turkey and you’re in business! Onion and garlic powder mixed with dried oregano creates a traditional Italian flavor for the meatballs, but the real kicker is the combination of mozzarella and Parmesan cheese stuffed inside. Yum! Get the family together and start cooking these delicious mozzarella stuffed turkey meatballs for dinner tonight.
*This recipe is brought to you by Sara Croft of Solid Gold Eats exclusively for Joe’s Butcher Shop!
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 28-ounce can crushed San Marzano tomatoes
- ½ pound dried fettuccine pasta
- Shredded parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, mix the ground turkey together with the egg, breadcrumbs, onion powder, garlic powder, dried oregano, dried parsley and shredded mozzarella until combined. Form the mix into 2 inch size meatballs with your hands, creating between 12-14.
- Place a large skillet or Dutch oven on the stove and turn the heat to medium high. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the San Marzano tomatoes, then gently place the meatballs into the pan.
- Allow the tomatoes to come to a boil, then turn the heat down and place the lid on top. Simmer the meatballs in the tomatoes for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat a large pot of water to boil. Cook the pasta per the package directions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Plate the pasta and top with meatballs and sauce. Sprinkle shredded parmesan on top and serve