Do you have a favorite rib joint? Odds are you’ve never tried making spareribs at home. Here’s the recipe you’ve been waiting for. Although you’ll need to start the day before, the hands on cooking time is minimal and the flavor…. ? Well, you might never order them out again after you’ve tasted these.
- 6 lb pork spareribs
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1/4 cup salt
- 2 1/2 Tbl ground black pepper
- 3 Tbl sweet paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbl garlic powder
- 5 Tbl pan drippings
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- BBQ sauce
- 1 cup wood chips, soaked
- Clean the ribs, and trim away any excess fat.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, salt, ground black pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper,
- and garlic powder. Coat ribs liberally with spice mix. Place the ribs in two 10x15 inch roasting
- pans, piling two racks of ribs per pan. Cover, and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 275° F (135° C). Bake uncovered for 3 to 4 hours, or until the ribs are tender
- and nearly fall apart.
- Remove 5 tablespoons of drippings from the bottom of the roasting pans, and place in a skillet
- over medium heat. Cook onion in pan drippings until lightly browned and tender. Stir in your
- favorite BBQ sauce, and heat for 3 to 4 more minutes, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 hour, adding water as necessary to achieve desired
- Preheat grill for medium-low heat.
- When ready to grill, add soaked wood chips to the coals or to the smoker box of a gas grill.
- Lightly oil grill grate. Place ribs on the grill two racks at a time so they are not crowded. Cook for 20 minutes, turning occasionally. Baste ribs with sauce during the last 10 minutes of grilling so the sauce does not burn.