If you love french fries and gravy, you’re definitely going to love this dish! Our boneless short rib poutine combines the classic ingredients of a traditional poutine with tender, juicy short rib. Is your mouth watering yet? Just wait, it will be. To give you a little history on the recipe, the term “poutine” refers to a dish of french fries topped with cheese curds and gravy. The meal originated in Canada and is often served in pubs and diners. Our recipe incorporates boneless short rib into the dish for a meal that’s not only tasty, but satisfying. The flavors of the gravy mixed with cheese curds and crisp, salty french fries is perfect for any time your family is craving some good old comfort food.
Boneless Short Rib Poutine
- For the short ribs:
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 large boneless short ribs, about 1 ½ pounds
- 2 large onions
- 1 12-ounce bottle of beer
- 2 cups beef broth
- Cheese curds
- Crispy french fries
- For the gravy:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- In a large skillet, heat cooking oil over medium heat. Pat the short ribs dry with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper. Place them in the skillet and sear for about 5 minutes on each side.
- Turn off the heat and place the onions and short ribs into a slow cooker. Pour in the beer and beef broth and turn the slow cooker on to low heat for 5 hours.
- Once cooked, remove the short ribs and place on a plate to shred with a fork.
- Prepare the gravy by heating the butter over medium high heat. Once melted, add the flour and cook until slightly brown in color. Slowly pour in the beef broth, Worcestershire, and add the salt and black pepper. Whisk constantly until thickened, about 8-10 minutes.
- Assemble the poutine by plating a large handful of hot and crispy french fries, followed by shredded short ribs, cheese curds and spoonfuls of gravy.
*This recipe is brought to you by Sara Croft of Solid Gold Eats exclusively for Joe’s Butcher Shop!