Trager Smoked Beef Shank
- One beef shank (with bone)
- Three tbsp olive oil
- Four tbsp Traeger garlic and chilli rub
- Two tbsp fresh cracked pepper
- A pan large enough to hold the beef shank and braising liquid
- 32 ounces of beef broth
- Two full onions (cut into slices)
- Two minced garlic cloves
- Turn your smoker on and bring to 225 degrees.
- Remove your beef shank from the package and pat dry.
- Trim any hard fat that is found on or around the beef shank.
- Apply the olive oil on the entire beef shank.
- Liberally season the beef shank (you can use your favorite mix)
- Place the beef shank (unwrapped) in the smoker.
- Allow the beef shank to smoke for three hours.
- While the beef shank is smoking add your beef broth, onions and garlic in a braising pan. You can use a disposable aluminum pan for easy cleanup.
- After three hours, remove the beef shank from the smoker and add it to your braising pan. Wrap the entire pan in foil.
- Turn the smoker up to 350 degrees and add the beef shank (in wrapped braising liquid) back into the smoker.
- Allow the beef shank to braise in the smoker for another ~3 hours or until the beef has an internal temperature of 207-210 degrees.
- Remove the beef shank and braising liquid from the smoker and place the beef shank into a cutting board.
- The beef will be pull-apart tender.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by Yummly Rich Recipes